Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Be my Valentine.


Yesterday was Valentine's Day.  I must admit that after 20 years together my husband and I don't make that big a deal about it.  We do make sure that we wish each other a Happy Valentine's Day, and sometimes there are cards or small treats, but that is about it.  This year one of the young girls of our church had made some wonderful chocolate to sell.  We couldn't decide on which of the four flavours to choose so we picked up a package of each.  She had them tied with a lovely red bow.  Very cute and yummy too.  That was what we gave to each other.  I know that they are more for me than him though. 

 I hope that I let my hubby know all year long how much I love him and that he means the world to me, and even though I don't think a big deal needs to be made of Valentine's Day it is still nice to hear that I am still his Valentine.  He is certainly still mine.

Having two of our boys in school we participate in the ritual of giving Valentines to their friends.  We chose The Superhero Squad and CARS valentines this year and added some Rockets candies to them after the boys had written all of the names on them.  It makes the boys happy to be able to give things out to their classes and I like that the teachers make sure to send a list of the student's names home so that no one is left out.  I remember worrying when I was young that I wouldn't get any valentines.  Everyone wants to be liked and they will have enough disappointment in their lives as they get older, at this age Valentine's day should be fun.

The boys were quite excited to show me all of their Valentines when they arrived home from school.  They received valentines, some chocolate,  suckers as well as a bookmark and pencils.  To top it all off they received a package in the mail from their Grandparents with a card and some treats in it.  All in all they enjoyed their Valentine's day and will have treats to last them for the next couple of weeks.  Thankfully my kids are content with only having a single treat each day.  It makes the treats last longer and saves their bellies :)

So how do you celebrate Valentine's Day?  Is it important to you?  Do you make a special dinner or pick out a special gift?  Do you ignore the commercial ritual all together or make a big deal of it?  Whatever you do, I hope that February 14th was a sweet day for you, and that you will have many more sweet days ahead of you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment